Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Game of Units

With a couple exceptions, the world of foam fighting is comprised of groups of brothers and sisters who unite to wage war against their foes.   In Dag and Bel we call them units, in Darkon countries, and in Amtgard companies.   These in-game organizations are forged from ties of friendship, location, or common goal.  But they tend to bleed out from inside the game itself, and for many become their out of game family and friends as well.  We spend countless hours in fields with them, wielding arms in concert, and countless nights around campfires talking game or life.  Some times they bring us great joy and pride, others great consternation or dismay, but they nearly always help shape who we become; both in-game and out.

      When I first joined the game, I fell in with the group closest to me, as was convenient for a 17 year old reliant on parental transportation.  Caledonia they were called, a somewhat ragtag group of misfits who were far from renowned for their field prowess.  But I didn't know it at the time, and I simply didn't care.  I was entranced by this new world, and these friendly, welcoming faces were the  best thing that could have happened to me.  Another thing that I was blissfully unaware of was that most of these players were in their twilight.  They were mostly insular by awkwardness, and had lost most of their fire for the fight.  But they lent me weaponry, allowed me to stand with them at day battles and even as they stopped attending soon after, they lent me their entire arsenal for me to beat my friends with.  I loved the game so much.  So it was particularly painful when I shattered my kneecap at a local 4 Horseman tournament mere months after starting to play.

      I strayed from the game for a time, mostly immersing myself in video games as I healed and rehabilitated.  The hiatus extended for a couple years, not for any reason in particular, but just due to a sudden onset of disinterest.  But, as ever for me, the yearning eventually returned.  It brought me out one fall to the fields of the Guard's practice, once again the closest unit to me at the time geographically.  The Guard is a very welcoming and unique unit, full of vibrant personalities who love to explore the sillier and flurbier aspects of Dagorhir.  Under the command of Graymael, the Guard has existed for decades and though they're rarely considered a martial force to be feared, they certainly have some skill.  More importantly, I think the way that the Guard approaches the game helps foster newer fighter's love for the game.  They're easily one of the most noob friendly groups I've ever encountered, and even the fighters they raise who decide they are taking the path of the stick-jock are given an appreciation for the finer, gentler aspects of our world.

      My first ever campout was the first Ides of March which took place 13 hours away from home on a windy horse-farm in Georgia.  This was a particularly formative event, as I met the questionably outstanding crew of the Senegal's Finest, a decently sized pirate unit based out of Eryndor in Michigan.  These kids had also made a ~13 hour trip down from their frozen homeland to swing sticks in green grassy fields, and I instantly felt at home with them.  I also became acquainted with a young Sons of Tara, from Albion in South Carolina, a group who I adore and who continue to be one of the most skilled units in the game.  The Senegal's fought hard and intense, with a novel pack ferocity that dominated the field at Ragnarok for a year or two in their prime.  I fell in love and spent considerable time bonding with them at the following Ragnarok.

      They started asking me to join soon after, without regard for the vast distance that separated my home realm from theirs.  I resisted for a while, feeling torn about leaving my friends in the Guard,  but eventually the lure of a younger, hungrier unit could no longer be denied.  The leaders at the time were Captain Evias and Captain Sindaric, both respected fighters and charismatic personalities.  They generally kept the peace and the crew continued to grow in strength and size.  I ran hard with the Senegal's and in our golden days we were deadly.  So very deadly.  In many ways it was a perfect storm, Many of the top fighters from the Senegal's Finest were amongst the top fighters in the game at the time.  And several of them still continue to wreak havoc to this day, though under other new colors and symbols.   Eryndor's style of fighting was very aesthetically pleasing, placing form over function, and it bled heavily into my personal fighting style.

      For a time I often traveled up to Michigan to attend Senegal's events, but it was still hard at times to be a integral part of a group that was located so far from me.  They hung out on the regular, and while they made serious effort to try and include me when they could, I was still always 10 hours away.  After a few beautiful years, real life and drama ensued.  I was somewhat removed from everything that happened, always learning about things second-hand, but it changed the make-up of the unit permanently.  The captains were removed from command, and in response they left the unit.  While there are still some skilled stick fighters in the Senegal's Finest, those events certainly triggered their fall.  They're looking to rebuild, and aim to reclaim their former strength.  I stayed with the Senegal's until a few months ago, mostly selling my skills as a mercenary when I traveled, though always signing in as Senegal's Finest.

      Very recently I decided to join a local unit named No Quarter!, who is based out of the DC/Baltimore/NoVa areas.  They're a tight-knit gang of well-dressed stick jocks, who hold themselves to a high standard both in appearance and in combat.  I've spent years hanging out with them outside the game and think that they're a great fit for both who I am, and what I'm looking to get out of the game in the future.  They have no leader, and everyone who is a full member has an equal voice in decisions that are made.  I'm incredibly happy about my decision to join them and hope my future with them is filled with bloody days and shiny nights.

      There are a huge variation of unit types and styles out there.  I think units help a fighter develop in many different ways, but there's also no hurry to force yourself into a unit.  It's important to find one that is a good fit for your personality and how you enjoy the game.  Many fighters stay close to the game because of a good group, and many leave for a lack thereof.  Maybe you're looking for a peer group of a similar skill level, or perhaps you're seeking a group of older vets to show you the ropes?  Do you want a family environment or a rowdy party scene?  There's a unit out there for nearly everyone, but on the off chance that there isn't, you can always make your own.  Though keep in mind that starting a unit is a huuuuge undertaking.  You need to be able to motivate a group, maintain order and attendance, dissuade drama and maintain an image.  Definitely a venture that would benefit from the leadership and experience of a game veteran.

       Units help make the game what it is.  Choose carefully, but without arrogance.  Take pride in your colors and your family.  Learn everything you can.  And let your unit help you become the best you can.

-The Golden Lion

No comments:

Post a Comment