Friday, August 22, 2014

Growing the Game

I'd like to cover two topics today, both a bit more philosophical than technical.  After a busy summer of sword pilgrimage, I'd like to discuss two things: the way the game is approached by different regions, and the way the game grows.

As a fighter who travels a considerable amount to fight, I love observing the flavors and subtleties that different regions bring to the game.  Certain realms are heavy on certain weapon combinations, or wear a particular style of armor more often.  They vary in their skill gaps, their number of vets, the way they hold their weapons, and what they call their shots.  What intrigues me most about these variances is how and why these realms developed in their own unique manner.  What were the contributing factors and how can this information be used to grow the game in a healthy manner?

I come from the birthplace of Dagorhir, the Aratari, a realm with fifty years of history.  The area has lots of local practices, regular well-run events, yearly feasts and decent numbers.  However the weight of experience and effects of time have resulted in a stagnation.  For many of the more experienced fighters, warriors who've been coming out for twenty to thirty years, the schedule of battles and one day a week of practice have become mechanical habit.  They still come out, and still love fighting, but the hunger is gone.  Newer fighters who are indoctrinated into these established units and groups aren't instilled with the same drive to improve their skills.  This isn't apparent from the inside, and I doubt newer fighters in this situation would understand....unless they traveled.

I developed a bit different from any of my area's contemporaries.  My very first camp-out was the first Ides of March, hosted outside of Atlanta, Georgia by the High Spires realm.  Thirteen long hours from my home realm, at a windy horse farm I fell head over heels in love with the game.  At this event, I became acquainted with my future unit, the Senegal's Finest of Eryndor, and Albion, a realm from South Carolina.  For most of these young fighters, their "careers" had started within the last three years and everything about Dagorhir was shiny and new.  They sparred late into the evening, straining to learn new tricks and techniques, and spent their hours off the field discussing the merits of various approaches to the game.  I saw the vast difference in the way newer realms looked at the game.  I tasted the possibilities and potentials, and I became hungry as well.

For the last eight years, I've continued to try and travel as much as possible, often making three or more 10hr+ trips a year.  This is both because the fighting addict in me craves opponents outside my home realm, and because I love the fresh atmosphere of newer areas of Dagorhir.  In my travels I've learned that there are a number of things that contribute to the success or lack thereof of a Dagorhir group.  The most important factor is leadership.  Leadership comes in many forms, and multi-faceted leadership fosters growth both in the realm itself as well as the fighters who reside there.  There's fighting leadership to inspire and teach the newer generations, administrative leadership to keep fighting regular and exciting, crafting leadership to show how better gear can be made, and spirit leadership to encourage continued character and style development.  An imported, skilled veteran can potentially bring competent leadership and plenty of experience, assuming he/she's willing to put some work in.

I've found that the main cause in regional differences can be traced back to the way people view the game itself.  Some groups want the game to be a hard-core reproduction of authentic medieval combat, some want to be orcs and to snarl and growl, and some approach it as a pure sport.  There's no wrong way to view the game, but much of the political strife comes from people wanting the game to change to fit their vision better.  I choose to view the game as something "new", drawing inspiration from history, fantasy and real weapon techniques, shaping a beautiful game with a bright future and unlimited martial potential.  I come out to see the people I love, immerse myself in the culture, and swing foam til my body refuses to cooperate.  I hope to see the game continue to grow, so inspire the fighters around you with clean fighting and open attitudes!

I'll return to some more technical aspects with my next article.  Thanks for reading!

-The Golden Lion

No comments:

Post a Comment