Tuesday, July 29, 2014

So, just who the fuck are you? (An Introduction)

So. Who the fuck am I?  And why the hell should you want to read anything I have to say?

Well, frankly, you probably shouldn't.  People call me the Liar King for fucks sake!  Who would listen to the poisoned words of such a renowned scoundrel?  Haha, too many damn people is who.  How do you think I became king? :D

In this wonderful, silly-serious world of ours I'm known as Exo.  And I fucking love sword fighting.  So.  Damn.  Much.

I've been fighting for some time.  Not as long as some, but probably more than most.  For me, the act and art of sword fighting are pure joy.  I can still remember the feelings and emotions of particular days 11 years ago, the sunlight and the smell of the air, the tension and the excitement.  The energy that accompanies feeling comfortable and at home with the world.

I started a stick jock, and I still am to some extent.  I take my fighting pretty seriously, but not quite like most other serious fighters do.  I fight not to win, but as an art, a form of expression and self-improvement.  I swing sticks because through that act, more than any other, I can feel eternity.  It's the reason I've been fighting greatsword near exclusively for the last 7 years.  For me, my style and fighting the way I want is as important as improvement itself, and this has dictated my skill progression over the years.

I'll cover skill plateaus and other meta fighting concepts in a future post, but I definitely feel like the next plateau I approach will be crested not through practice, but by deepening my understanding of the underlying most basic concepts of fighting.  To that extent, I'm going to be writing much of it out, as both teaching and writing seem to help me organize my thoughts.

In this blog I will try to cover a wide range of topics, such as: great-weapon from basics to advanced, line-fighting tactics and mindset, common mistakes and misunderstandings with fighting, how to improve actively and the occasional rant.  I hope you'll enjoy reading this!

-The Golden Lion

1 comment:

  1. Hail King Exo, King of all Dagorhirm, by your grace I have learned much in the way of honour and am inspired by your way with the sword. You have taught me many lessons in the short time I've known you it is my distinct pleasure to swear allegiance to your crown and to be counted among you court, though I did not earn a title in your kingdom I am still proud to fight for you. Also to study your art of the sword, so many lessons you have to give to the sport. Thank you for starting this blog your Grace, I look forward to the lessons to be found within. Hail Exo! ~Lord Rolland Blackwatch, Liege Commander of Clan Blackwatch

    ReplyDelete